Meander through the alleyways of the citadel, as you were discovering an open-air museum travelling in time…
The historic heart of the citadel or old millenary city overlooking the cliffs of Bonifacio, will most certainly be enhanced by the complexity of these charming paved alleyways that always open onto a small square where you can find a restaurant, or a church, or a panorama, or these buildings with their slender facades…
One loves to loose oneself enthralled and wandering in these tight streets… Numerous streets are surmounted with flying buttresses and arcades with slate gutters joining the neighbouring houses to the Sainte Marie Majeure Church. These arcades were aqueducts and were part of the ingenious rainwater catchment system filling a cistern…
Take the time to discover this remarkable patrimony…
- View : Haute-Ville, Avec vue panoramique
- Environment : Medieval town
Why it’s nice !
- The building entrances with their steep and sloping staircases
- The Loggia of the Sainte-Marie Majeure church
- Place de la Manichella, with its view over the cliffs and Sardinia
- Rue des 2 Empereurs, not-to-be-missed detour to see where Napoleon once lived!
The picturesque streets of Bonifacio
Haute-Ville 20169 Bonifacio