Bonifacio alone has 5 churches and 1 chapel.
During your visit to the picturesque capital of Corsica, we invite you to discover its religious treasures.
Indeed, the city has 5 churches, 4 of which are located in the Old Town and one on the port.
Here is a brief overview:
– The Church of Saint Dominique, classified as a historic monument in 1862, is the only building in the Gothic style in Corsica!
– The Church of Santa Maria Maggiore is the oldest in Bonifacio and is characterised by its Romanesque architecture.
–Church of Saint John the Baptist, of pure Catholic tradition, is the seat of the Brotherhood of Mercy.
–The Church of Saint Erasmus is the only one located on the port. In a neo-Byzantine style, it houses the brotherhood of fishermen and seafarers.
–The Holy Cross Church, which is famous for its possession: a fragment of the true Cross of Christ.
– The Chapel of St. Roch, built in 1528 on the site where the last victim of the Plague died. This chapel is also called the “Patron saint of the plague patients”. This beautiful building overlooks the cliffs of Bonifacio, offering an exceptional view.
- Environment : Marina, Medieval town, In the countryside
Why it’s nice !
- The view from the Saint-Roch chapel.
- The Saint-Dominique Church, the only Gothic style building in Corsica.
- A rich and varied religious heritage.
Of 01/01/2023 the 31/12/2023
The churches of Bonifacio